7/2/12

Exclusive interview with Jermaine “Jay Everyday” Smith…


(For more on Jermaine “Jay Everyday” Smith, please visit http://www.thejayeveryday.com/.)

It is with great enthusiasm that I present to my readers this interview of great proportions. This is the first I’ve conducted, and with none other than Branding Mogul, Jermaine “Jay Everyday” Smith of Everyday the Brand. Wearing many hats as a playwright, radio personality, and magazine publisher, contributing to his branding reputation, Jay Everyday has ventured into the world of fragrance with his ALL NEW women’s perfume, Everyday for Women. This man has am amazing story of triumph over tragedy, and definitely counts his blessing well before he counts his many tasks for the day.

 
Q: Mr. Smith, you’re a playwright, radio host, and magazine publisher – with all you’ve accomplished in media, why the direction of a women’s fragrance?

A: A woman’s fragrance was the logical choice for me from a personal and a business standpoint. In all that I’ve done prior to this, women have been my target audience – my major supporters. Therefore I strongly wanted to fill a void that I felt was needed by and affordable for the "Everyday" Women that I would come across.

Q: Why do you think that is?

A: I think the "Everyday" Women ranges in culture, style and in body shape. It is very hard to define what a "Everyday" Women is because the role of a Woman has change dramatically over the years. So we must not only not box them in, but we must look to celebrate them as well. I know based on my analytics for my radio station that women are my general principal listeners, have demonstrated more of an interest in my theater productions, and I believe that women seem to just love shopping a little bit more than some men. (Lol)

PhotosByKai
Q: I read that your perfume, "Everyday" for Women, is heavily influenced by some very significant women in your life. Can you tell me a bit about that, and what scents come to mind when you think of those women?

A: Yes, my mother, aunts, sister and grandmothers all played a critical part in raising me to be the man that I am today. You had some who provided sheltering, mentoring, guidance and I saw the realities of their relationships. The smells I recall are those of my grandmother's making collard greens, sweet potato pies or my aunt's supplying their favorite dishes for various occasions. Different smells just brings me to thoughts of their endurance and strength.

Q: You’ve been very open in your career about losing your father at an early age, as well as your mother’s drug addiction, and how those pivotal circumstances affected you as a younger man. Do you believe “forgiveness” has a part to play in your success with Everyday the Brand?

A: To me success means having the courage, the determination, and the will to become the person you believe you were meant to be; and I firmly believe that I could not grow as a person without first acknowledging that their was a problem to address. So before I can look at trying to be successful' I had to work on me. Forgiveness or the lack thereof can either keep you away from your destiny or push you closer to it. If you can’t let go of that hurt; you can count on some area in your life to suffer and you may not understand why.

Q: So Jay, what would you say a hardworking woman smells like?

A: A hard working woman can smell like she just stepped out of the shower, dried off, and put on some of her Everyday for Women fragrance. A hardworking woman can and should only also smell like success and confidence; even if her circumstances say different. Everyone deserves to smell “simple, clean, and magnificent.”

Q: How would you describe the scent of your perfume, Everyday for Women?

A: I would say that Everyday for Women is nice, light, and pleasant. The fragrance is easy on the nose and the brain (Lol).


Q: I myself am not a perfume wearer - why should I give your smell goods my “eau du toilette” virginity?
A: That’s a great question and I can only say that if it’s not an allergy issue, you should open yourself up for change. Everyday for Women can very much become your signature scent if you give the fragrance a one day trail Tavy. I guarantee you that your [perfume] virginity would be just like a balloon – one prick and all gone.

Q: I must say I love the packaging and the added “Everyday” keychain to such a sexy bottle. How important is packaging?

A: I love the key chain (Lol). Packaging is the most important part of the product outside of the scent itself. Packaging says a lot on the first glance and to the quality of the product before you embrace it. Someone may not wear perfume but they may collect bottles; and we are in a visual world. Therefore the smallest details mean a lot; thus you need that beautiful bottle as your secondary packaging. But first you must have a eye catcher for your primary packaging which is the box. This is key to me because I refuse to loose to my competitors while I'm on the shelf next to them. I need my packaging to look just as good as theirs; if not better. I'm confident that the scent is on a equal plain or better. So if you don't purchase the fragrance; it won't be because of my primary or secondary packaging. It will be because you didn't sample "Everyday" For Women or you came in for your current signature scent.


Q: What’s next for Jay Everyday and where can my readers purchase Everyday for Women?

A: My main focus right now is to get the fragrance into as many retail locations as possible, as well as to finalize all ongoing negotiations for placement within major retail chain locations. I'm just gradually embracing the pain of falling in love with the hard work. The fragrance can be purchased right now via my website: http://www.thejayeveryday.com/. The fragrance is also available for sale at Tamika Lowe's "Lowe Key Fashion Finds" Boutique (Union, NJ), Mrs. Doretta Johns's "Couture Queen" Boutique (Parkville, MD), Tanae Wright's "RoyalT Ink Kouture Clothing" Boutique (San Antonio, TX), Regina James's "Dyvine Essence Beauty Spa (Brooklyn, NY) and Kiam Barrese's "Backstage Cosmetix" Shop (Mount Vernon, NY).

Q: Thank you for taking the time to interview with me. I wish you much success my friend… Now how do you feel about making Every Day a Tavy Day?
A: Your signed fragrance will officially be stamped "TavyDay"










3 comments:

  1. Lovely interview miss T...fantabulous work! Now...how do I obtain a trial sample of Everyday? Id like to support Mr. Smith in getting his fragrance on www.alwaysvogue.com with my upcoming fragrances, and a highlight of the month to support exposure?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you! May have to add you to my journalism team! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview. Love the humor and useful information. Jay is truly the entrepreneur's entrepreneur! I wish him much success in his current focus, Everyday for Women.
    I too would like to find out how to get a sample. I have specific tastes when it comes to my fragrances, but I'd like to add this to my collection and help promote it. Aziza.M.Clayton@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete